Hacking Your Work Life Balance Jennifer Wadella
Balance Your Work / Your life / _Blank ( your passion)
Graph - unoptimized work life
Axe Y : Urgence Axe x : Importance Taille des ronds : effort requis
Eiseinhower chart: Urgent and important problems.
Quadrant of necessity
Quadrant of quality & personal leadership
Quadrant of deception
Quadrant of waste
Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day
Do the worst thing first.
What about creative workflow?
What about when I am being productive and I have that brillant Idea for open source?
Creative placeholder -> Trello Have ready to dump trello boards
Unforseen chaos - Murphy’s law
Nothing will ever be perfect. Shit is gonna happen. Ok I will handle it!
What can go wrong will go wrong
If we are in the state of mind that wrong will happen we may be able to go with the flow instead of being paralyzed
Home catastrophe. A highly important and urgent items appears. Others items are taking a back step (in urgency and energy)
Eliminate the need to remember dates for bills.
Huge relief. Not worry about
- Create canned responses - gmail templates
- Proof your work with Grammaly - Chrome/Safari extension
- Set reminders for on slack notifications
- create todos for yourself/team in slack
- For everything else - IFFT, Emailpet, & Zapier
Use social media tools to manage your content
Set up google alerts for your name company
- look into cleaning services
- outsource lawncare projects
- clean as you go
- try a meal prep service - Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Marley spoon
- batch food preparation
- Get the monotonous items (toilet paper,paper towels, garbage bags, dog food, cat litter) regularly shipped to you
- menu planning - http://organizedhome.com/kitchen-tips/menu-planning-save-time-kitchen
Get enough sleep
- Recovery - this is when your immune systm releases compoounds called cytokine
- Aids in hanger management
- Improves memory - REM & slow wave sleep of sleep contribute to creative thinking, procedural memory, long-term memories, and memory processing
How to get enough sleep
- Use a fitness tracker to monitor your sleep
- Avoid stimulants and light before bed
- No laptop / TV before bed
- For help falling asleep try audiobooks (fiction & especially you have already heard a millions times before) , apps music, or white noise creators
Know your productive hours
The number of hours in a day isn’t the issue… it’s how many of those hours you feel productive doing
1 hour workout
it’s 4% of your day! no excuses!
Prioritize your health
Set an habit and be consistent for 3 month
Learning to say no
Remove toxic relationships
Do not set yourself on fire fire to keep somebody else warm
Turn off push notifications
Get the F*ck off social media
Deal with criticism
Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.
Give yourself a break
We can go all the damn time!
True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making a choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from.
We need to build something sustainable
Identify & minimize stressors
Ie. being early at the airport …
Use tools & processus
And figure out what works for you.
Hacking your worjk life balance is a process.
Everything on trello
- if it exists, block it on your calendar
- physically block out work hours for yourself
- share calendars between family members
- use reminders & todos
- block off weeks around travel
- Application Calendly
Get an accountability buddy
Friend with shared interests? Great! If not, create your own accountability buddy in slack - IFTTT recipe
- snooze feature - inbox by google
- Mixmax - email tracking , auitomation, templating
- BoomerangGmail - snoozing , follow-up reminders for gmail
- Unroll Me - declutter your inbox
Jennifer’s email hack
- want a response? Always conclude with a call to action and deadline
- format your dates to be easy to remember - Day of week, date time + timezone
- Make your emails easy to read - use lists, call out important info, line breaks are your friends
- save time
- remove decision making need/willpower
- save money
- easy portion control
Jennifer’s mealprep hacks
- Join the cult of the Instant Pot
- Calculate your macros
- Dump recipes in MyFitnessPal for easy calorie tracking
- Freeze meals for when you know you won’t have time to mealprep (she makes EFBs)
- Subscribe to r/MealPrepSunday
- avoid busy times
- Run errands when parents will be pickup their kids
Train your brain to go into FOCUS MODE
- use music - The new playlist for more productive work : Video Game Soundtracks
- Remove distractions
- Physically write down the things distracting you
- clear your office & yout desktop
- get yourself a hobby
- have guilty pleasures (and don’t be guilty about them)
- Plan things you look forward to
- do things just for fun
Schedule your social life
- Introverts - meaningful 1 on 1 on conversations
- Extroverst - parties ,rec sports, group outings
Take your birthday off!
- Celebrate yourself!
- Do whatever you want!
Ce(tte) œuvre est mise à disposition selon les termes de la Licence Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International.